Matomo custom alerts are lifesavers… use them
This is the story of a guy who do not understand why he is not receiving any emails whereas his website has many contact forms and many visitors. One day he decided to use its own website and realize that his contact forms are not working… I guess you already heard or lived this story. Let’s make not that happen again.
What are custom alerts in Matomo?
In Matomo Analytics, custom alerts refer to a community plugin which allows you to be notified after a certain period of time(daily, weekly, monthly) that something happened on your website or not.
How to define your custom alerts?
In the case we are facing here, there may be two custom alerts to define:
- You want to be notified if after a certain period of time you have not received a form. Always look at your historical, if in general you are receiving one form per week, then your custom alert is triggered when no forms are sent on a weekly basis. If the custom alert triggered then it would mean that your form may be broken. Next action is to try if that’s the case.
- You want to be notified when a form is sent. Why would you want to do this? Simply because when a form is sent, it does not mean that it reached your mailbox. This custom alert is very useful if you are not used to receive many emails. If this custom alert triggers then you need to you check your mail server configuration.
Note that we are showing here the easiest way to implement those custom alerts. In general you would rather prefer to work based on events rather than a page URL.
Hold on this is not finished yet, here is the checklist
Creating your custom alerts is a thing, but you need to check that they are working fine, so check that:
- The name of your alerts are short and descriptive. Even if custom alerts are personal it is a good habit to take.
- That the emails can be sent properly from Matomo, you can use the email report to check that in real time.
- Trigger the custom alert by sending a form and check either tomorrow, next week or next month that you received it by adding a reminder within your agenda.
And that’s it for today, we really hope you enjoyed reading this article, please do not hesitate to contact us with you have any questions about its implementation or if you have any ideas about blog posts you would like us to write about.